Re: Multiple backends on a single physical database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Multiple backends on a single physical database
Date
Re: Multiple backends on a single physical database  (Ragnar Kjørstad <postgres@ragnark.vestdata.no>)
List pgsql-admin
Chris Miles wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 10:09:55AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > We also don't recommend NFS directories because the NFS file behavior is
> > not 100% the same as a local file system.
>
> Can you comment on what the incompatabities are?  (related to PostgreSQL
> only).
>
> We currently run PostgreSQL on Linux servers with the data on dedicated
> Netapp filers over NFS.  We have had no problems so far and performance
> is very acceptable.
>
> If there is something I need to watch out for, I would like to know.

Good question.  It is my understanding that fsync, locking, and the
order of writes is not guaranteed in NFS like it is for local file
systems.  I question how well it would handle any of the failure modes
that local file systems can withstand.