Re: deny access to system tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: deny access to system tables
Date
Re: deny access to system tables  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 09 October 2002 08:29 pm, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 05:59:41PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> > I've created a user "dblackey" and given them select permissions (no
> > insert, update, etc...) on a couple of tables in my database. This
> > prevents them from selecting from arbitrary tables, but is there any way
> > to deny them select access to the system tables? REVOKE ALL ON pg_proc
> > FROM dblackey doesn't seem to work...
>
> If you prevented SELECT access to the system tables, that would mean they
> couldn't execute queries, since the parser needs to access system tables to
> work out what fields are in tables, what indexes are available and such
> things.
>
> What are you trying to achieve?

If I could prevent access to pg_proc the user would (theoretically) not be
able to run any functions, and more importantly would not be able to see the
source of my functions.  I believe the same hold true for pg_views.

Robert Treat