Re: [GENERAL] arrays - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [GENERAL] arrays
Date
List pgsql-sql
Mike,

> has an language attribute. if there are, say 67 seperate items, each with
> multiple languages, then the comlexity of the table structure skyrockets
> because you have to allow for multiple titles, multiple names, multiple
> everything.

This looks soluable several ways.

Question #1:  If each record has 67 fields, and each field may appear in
several languages, is it possible for some fields to be in more languages
than others?  I.e. if "title-en" and "title-de" exist, does it follow that
"content-en" and "content-de" exist as well?   Or not?

Question #2: Does your XML schema allow locall defined attributes?  That is,
do some records have entire attributes ("fields" ) that other records do not?

Suggestion #1:  Joe Celko's "SQL for Smarties, 2nd Ed." is an excellent book
for giving you ideas on how to adapt SQL structures to odd purposes.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco