Re: [GENERAL] arrays - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mike Sosteric
Subject Re: [GENERAL] arrays
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

Don't worry.

Our biggest problem is that each XML data entry, say

<title=en>This is the title</title>

has an language attribute. if there are, say 67 seperate items, each with
multiple languages, then the comlexity of the table structure skyrockets
because you have to allow for multiple titles, multiple names, multiple
everything.

the resulting relational model is icky to say the least. The question, is
how to simplify that. I had thought arrays would help because you can
store the multiple language strings in a single table along with other
records..

any ideas?

> Mike,
>
> > thanks for this. we will stick with the relational model.
>
> Hey, don't make your decision entirely based on my advice.    Do some
> research!  I'm just responding "off the cuff" to your questions.
>
> If you do take the relational approach, post some sample problems here and
> people can help you with how to represent XML data relationally.
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

Mike Sosteric <mikes@athabascau.ca>       Managing Editor, EJS <http://www.sociology.org/>
Department of Global and Social Analysis  Executive Director, ICAAP <http://www.icaap.org/>
Athabasca University                      Cell: 1 780 909 1418
Simon Fraser University                   Adjunct Professor                   Masters of Publishing Program
--
This troubled planet is a place of the most violent contrasts.
Those that receive the rewards are totally separated from those who

___   This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it   is addressed, and may contain
confidential,personal, and or privileged   information. Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended
recipientof this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take   action relying on it. Any communications
receivedin error, or   subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.

---