Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Rule updates and PQcmdstatus() issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I am not any happier about it than you are.  Your report is good because
it is the first case where returning the wrong value actually breaks
software.  You may be able to justify adding a fix during beta by saying
it is a bug fix.

Of course, someone is going to have to generate a patch and champion the
cause.  This stuff doesn't happen by magic.

Steve Howe wrote:
> Hello Bruce,
>
> Friday, September 6, 2002, 3:22:13 PM, you wrote:
>
> BM> Steve Howe wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> PostgreSQL *still* has a bug where PQcmdStatus() won't return the
> >> number of rows updated. But that is essential for applications, since
> >> without it of course we don't know if the updates/delete/insert
> >> commands succeded. Even worst, on interfaces like Delphi/dbExpress the
> >> program will return an error message and rollback transaction thinking
> >> nothing have been updated. In other words, unusable.
> >>
> >> This render views useless (I either use view with rules and don't get
> >> my program working) and won't allow me to proper use security settings
> >> on PostgreSQL...
> >>
> >> This is a *major* issue in my opinion that appeared on a May thread
> >> but I can't see it done on version 7.2.2. Even worst, I can't see
> >> nothing on the TODO file.
> >>
> >> Will this fix finally  appear on 7.3 ? Any ways to work around this ?
> >> How can I know at least if *something* succeeded, or how many rows
> >> (the proper behavior)?
>
> BM> I see on TODO:
>
> BM>         * Return proper effected tuple count from complex commands [return]
> Sorry, I missed it because I check the v7.2.2 TODO.
>
> BM> and that "return" link has a discussion of possible fixes.
> BM> Unfortunately, no fix was agreed upon so there is no fix in 7.3.
> So all the databases that uses rules will still be broken ? I don't
> believe you guys are so unconcerned about this...
>
> BM> And, on top of that, I can't even think of a workaround.  At best,
> BM> perhaps someone can write you a patch to fix this.
> Let's hope so... and I disagree about the 'write for me' point; it's
> for *everyone using rules*. They are useless, currently... and it's
> broken for months and nothing agreed until know... I just can't
> believe in it.
> What do you do when you have to update a view ?

> Best regards,
>  Steve Howe                           mailto:howe@carcass.dhs.org

Pennsylvania19073