Re: Removing Libraries (Was: Re: Open 7.3 issues) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Removing Libraries (Was: Re: Open 7.3 issues)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, I am ready to do the work, but I would like to get a plan of where
> we are going.  I see in interfaces:
>
>     cli
>     ecpg
>     jdbc
>     libpgeasy
>     libpgtcl
>     libpq
>     libpq++
>     libpqxx
>     odbc
>     perl5
>     python
>
> and we have Pg:DBD waiting to be added.
>
> Now, I know one of Marc's goals is to have libpq as a stand-alone
> tarball, but I thought we decided that this _didn't_ require it to be in
> a separate CVS repository.

Ya, this one I had no problem with ... the only thing with libpq that I do
request is that it has its own configure so that it can be completely
standalone ... but, IMHO, if someone compiles the server, they are going
to need libpq, I just want to make sure taht if they want libpq, they
don't need the server ...

> If we split these up based on activity, we have, in decreasing activity
> order:
>
>     jdbc
>     odbc
>     libpq
>     libpqxx
>     cli
>     ecpg
>     libpq++
>     libpgtcl
>     python
>     libpgeasy
>     Pg:DBD
>     perl5
>
> We already have separate web sites for jdbc and odbc, and they are in
> our main CVS.
>
> What goals do we have?  Do we create gborg accounts for all/most of
> these so releases can be made independently of the main server?  Do we
> move their CVS out of the main tree too?

IMHO, yes ...

> Let me add that odbc and jdbc have successfully made releases
> independent of our server for over a year now.

Correct, so they should be the easiest to move out as well ...

> I wonder if the best solution is to create gborg accounts for every
> interface and keep them in our main CVS, and do independent releases
> from there.  Should we point to jdbc/odbc.postgresql.org from gborg?

Chris has made code changes to GBorg to allow for this based on requests
from Dave Page (ie. PgAdminII) ... so there is no problems with that ...

As for keeping them in our main CVS, the more we put over onto GBorg, the
more it will get used, test, debugged, pounded and stabilized ... hell,
maybe some of the 'dead projects' that are on GBorg will come alive again
also if ppl are going to GBorg and find them, download them and hit the
authors for fixes :)

But, moving the interfaces over will at least give ppl a reason to go over
and see what is there ...