Open 7.3 issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Open 7.3 issues
Date
Re: Open 7.3 issues  (Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org>)
Re: Open 7.3 issues  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Here are some comments on the open 7.3 items.  We have to start pairing
this down if we are going to hit beta in 2.5 weeks:

                             P O S T G R E S Q L
                         7 . 3  O P E N    I T E M S

Current at ftp://candle.pha.pa.us/pub/postgresql/open_items.
Source Code Changes-------------------Socket permissions - only install user can access db by default
unix_socket_permissionsin postgresql.conf

Are we going to do anything with sockets permissions to tighten things up?
I know of one big client where PostgreSQL got a bad rap for being open
to all local users by default.
Point-in-time recovery - ready for 7.3?

This seems very unlikely now.  Status?
Allow easy display of usernames in a group (pg_hba.conf uses groups now)

I was hoping for something on this because we are now using groups for
pg_hba.conf.  If not, we can add it to TODO.  I think it is already
there.
Reindex/btree shrinkage - does reindex need work, can btree be shrunk?

Can we do anything here?
display locks - ready?

This one is waiting to be applied.
Win32 - timefame?

Seems like a non-issue for 7.3.
Prepared statements - ready?

New version submitted recently.  Is it ready to be applied?
Schema handling - ready? interfaces? client apps?

We need a posting describing what interfaces/applictions need to look at
for schemas.
Dependency - have pg_dump auto-create dependencies when loading 7.2.Xdata?

Are we as far as we can go here?
glibc and mktime() - fix?

I can do the work on this I need more info and no one seems to be
conerned.
ecpg and bison issues - solved?

Do we have a fallback position on this if bison can't get a fixed
version?
improve macros in new tuple header codehave pg_dumpall dump out db privilege and per-user/db settings

These need to be done.
fix BeOS and QNX4 ports

Should we ship 7.3 without these ports?
fix implicit type coercions that are worse

Details?
remove interfaces/ssl if not improved

I am ready to yank this.
integrate or remove new libpqxxintegrate or add to gborg Pg:DBD

Seems like gborg is the place for these.
allow specification of configuration files in a different directory?

Anyone working on this?
handle lack of secondary passwords?

We are discussing this so I think we can get this done soon.
move pg_resetxlog and pg_controldata to main tree, add -f flag

That is me. I  will get to it.
Allow PL/PgSQL functions to return sets

Is anyone working on this?  We will get beaten up if we don't have this
for 7.3 and it is available in other languages.
Fix bytea to not encode input stringFix db, function, language permissions on 7.2 database loads

Not sure we can do these.Agree on PGXLOG/-X handling

This is still an open item.

Pennsylvania19073