Re: Need Help for select - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andre Schubert
Subject Re: Need Help for select
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:11:48 -0700 (PDT)
"Ludwig Lim" <lud_nowhere_man@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

thank you for your quick response, but the answer you gave me
doesnt give the result i want.
Let me try to explain what i want.
Lets say that table a contains informations about
some items of the type foo.
Table b holds information about what item bar is selected by foo.
In short: each item foo can have 0..n items bar selected.
Thats the left side.

The ride side as follows.
Table d contains information about subitems.
Table c holds information about subitems and items of type bar.
Each subitem can have 0..n items bar selected.

What i want is that a subitem is only activated for a foo item if
the foo-item has exactly selected the same bar items selected as
as the relation between table c and d.

Example 1:
The foo-item A_Name1 has selected the bar-items 1 and 2.
The subitem D_Name1 is only activated for a foo-item if that foo-item
has selected the bar-items 1 and 2, this happens for A_Name1.

Example 2:
The foo-item A_Name4 has selected the bar-item 5.
The subitem D_Name3 is only activated for a foo-item if that foo-item
has selected the bar-item 5, this happens for A_Name4.

Hope these informations describe my problema little bit better.
I have played with some plpgsql-functions but found no way.
The problem is the 0..n relation between a+b and c+d.

Regards

andre