Re: Need Help for select - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ludwig Lim
Subject Re: Need Help for select
Date
List pgsql-sql
--- Andre Schubert <andre@km3.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i need help to build a select query or
> plpgsql-fucntion
> for the following tables.
>> Is it possible to build a select query that selects
> d.name for each a.name where
> a.id = b.a_id and d.id = c.d_id and each b.c_id must
> exist in c.b_id.
>
> Example:
> a:          b:             c  :           d:
>  id | name      a_id | c_id    b_id | d_id    id |
> name
> ----|-------  -------|-----  -------|-----
> -----|--------
>  1  | A_Name1    1   |   1       1  |  1      1  |
> D_Name1
>  2  | A_Name2    1   |   2       2  |  1      2  |
> D_Name2
>  3  | A_Name3    2   |   1       3  |  2      3  |
> D_Name3
>  4  | A_Name4    3   |   3       4  |  2
>                  3   |   4       5  |  3
>              4   |   5
>
> i wish to have to following result:
> --------|--------
> A_Name1 | D_Name1
> A_Name3 | D_Name2
> A_Name4 | D_Name3
>
> I hope someone could understand the problem

You can use views to to simplify complicated queries

Create a view that will join table A & B

Create view view_ab(name,id) as
select name,c_id
from a,b
where id = c_id;

Create a view that will join table C & D

Create view view_cd(name2,id2) as
select name,b_id
from c,d
where id=d_id;

Create a query that will join the views "view_ab" and
"view_cd"

Select name,name2
from view_ab,view_cd
where id=id2;