Re: Few Queries - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Janning Vygen
Subject Re: Few Queries
Date
List pgsql-sql
Am Mittwoch, 14. August 2002 07:05 schrieb Sugandha Shah:
> 1. I 'm firing a query and it returns the value in variable which I
> need to pass to other query .  Is this a right way to pass the
> value ? I'm newbie to     this Database and hence facing lot of
> syntax problems.
>
> CREATE FUNCTION del_old_history() RETURNS bool AS '
> declare
>    var_history_age_limit int4;
>    set_time    datetime;
> BEGIN
> select into var_history_age_limit history_age_limit from
> database_info; IF (var_history_age_limit is not null)   THEN
>       set_time := select current_date()+ INTERVAL ' '

If you do a aselect you need select into. Normal assignment is only
possible with simple expression. Try:

SELECT INTO set_time current_date()+ INTERVAL ' ';

> 2. Is there any equiavlent of  MS -SQLServer 'trancount ' in
> postgres ?

you should only post one question per mail and i dont know waht
trancount is.

do you mean something like getting the affected rows?
Look at this file in the postgresdocs (7.2.1)
plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-DIAGNOSTICS

> 3. if object_id ('database_info') is null
>    how is above statement verified in postgres . I tried looking
> for OID .

same as answer to question number 2.
something like
GET DIAGNOSTICS var_oid = RESULT_OID;