Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src backend/tcop/postgres.cbacke
Date
Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src  (Greg Copeland <greg@CopelandConsulting.Net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> > > OK, seeing as no one voted, and only Tom and I objected originally, we
> > > will keep the code as Thomas has applied it, namely that PGXLOG/-X is
> > > recognized by initdb, postmaster, postgres, and pg_ctl.
> >
> > We will?  It looks to me like Thomas lost the vote 2-to-1.
> >
> > Unless there are more votes, I'm going to *insist* that this code be
> > changed.  It's dangerous and offers no offsetting benefit.  XLOG
> > location should be settable at initdb, noplace later.
>
> Well, you didn't vote again in my follow up email, so I thought you
> didn't care anymore, and Thomas didn't reply to my email either.  I am
> clearly concerned, as you are, but Thomas isn't, and no one else seems
> to care.

k, why are you concerned?  see my other message, but if the major concern
is the xlog directory for a postmaster, then put in a consistency check
for when starting ...

then again, how many out there are running multiple instances of
postmaster on their machine that would move xlog to a different location
without realizing they did?  I know in my case, we're working at reducing
the # of instances on our servers to 2 (internal vs external), but, our
servers are all on a RAID5 array, so there is nowhere to really "move"
xlog to out then its default location ... but I can see the usefulness of
doing so ...

Myself, if I'm going to move something around, it will be after the server
has been running for a while and I've added in more drive space in order
to correct a problem i didn't anticipate (namely, disk I/O) ... at that
point, I really don't wan tto have to dump/re-initdb/load just to move the
xlog directory to that new drive ...