Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql-server/src
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 00:16, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Myself, if I'm going to move something around, it will be after the server
> has been running for a while and I've added in more drive space in order
> to correct a problem i didn't anticipate (namely, disk I/O) ... at that
> point, I really don't wan tto have to dump/re-initdb/load just to move the
> xlog directory to that new drive ...

Okay, fair enough.  But do we really need to have environment variables
for this?  Sounds like we need a stand alone utility which does the
associated magic in the database which moves the xlog and associated
internal pointers.  Doing so would assuming that all "be"s for the
database have been shutdown or simply would not go into effect until
restarted.  Is this feasible?

For something that would seemingly be infrequently used, creating
environment variables would seemingly be rather error prone.

Requiring soft links also doesn't strike me as a good portable idea
either...not to mention I've been bitten by them before too.

Sign,Greg Copeland