Re: DB-local usernames - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: DB-local usernames
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Oh, well backend sees the user as this.is.legal.database.name.user.

The only case I can see a problem would be you have my.db.name and
db.user as legal _and_ my.db and name.db.user as legal.  That is clearly
a problem becuase they appear the same when logging in.

Can anyone think of a way to get this to work _without_ pushing the
complexity into the user administration commands?  That is what is
preventing me from creating a separate field in pg_shadow.

Hannu Krosing wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 08:43, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have given this some thought.  Peter's objection was that he objects
> > to any change that "makes any characters in the user name magic".
> >
> > I don't think my patch does that.  If you don't enable the feature,
> > everything works just the same.  If you turn it on, it unconditionally
> > prefixes the username with the database name and a period.  You can
> > still have periods in the username.  The code doesn't check for any
> > periods in the username passed to the backend.
>
> what about :
>
> [hannu@taru hannu]$ createdb this.is.legal.database.name
> CREATE DATABASE
> [hannu@taru hannu]$ psql this.is.legal.database.name
> Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help on internal slash commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
> this.is.legal.database.name=#

> Hannu

Pennsylvania19026