Re: DB-local usernames - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DB-local usernames
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Can anyone think of a way to get this to work _without_ pushing the
> complexity into the user administration commands?  That is what is
> preventing me from creating a separate field in pg_shadow.

I'd definitely prefer not to do that.  We have not really thought
through the implications.  The original idea here was a quick-and-dirty,
easily ignored, optional feature to support per-database user name
assignment.  Turning it into something more will require a lot of design
work that we haven't done, and IMHO don't have time for before 7.3.

BTW, I still prefer "user@dbname" to "dbname.user".