Re: SELECT problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Goodenough
Subject Re: SELECT problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 21 June 2002 11:46, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 11:38:39AM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> > landn=# select * from sites;
> >  CUSTNAME | AREA | SITE | NAME | BUILDING | TOWN | COUNTY | POSTCODE |
> > GRIDREF | LATITUDE | LONGITUDE
> > ----------+------+------+------+----------+------+--------+----------+---
> >------+----------+----------- (0 rows)
> >
> > landn=# select area from sites;
> > ERROR:  Attribute 'area' not found
> > landn=#
>
>  select "AREA" from sites;
>
>        Karel

Well yes that works, but why?  In every book I have ever read on SQL
the column names are not in quotes, and the other DB I use regularly
(IBM DB/2) does not require the column names in quotes, and actually
does not recognise the column names if they are in quotes?

I thought SQL was supposed to be standardised these days?  Or are we
in the "standards are a good thing, lets have lots" mode with conflicting
standards or incomplete standards?

David