Re: [DOCS] crash problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Subject Re: [DOCS] crash problem
Date
List pgsql-general
100% positive the dump program and database are 7.1, from the same release.
I have been intending to upgrade to 7.2, but have not actually done it on
that server yet.

I tried to run reindex, but it told me I have to use -O -P to go into
standalone mode.  But it does not recognize those flags.  Hmmm.  So then I
went to /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql  to put the flags directly into the
startup script, still cannot get it to start, but I notice that the version
the script says I am running is 7.0.3

I went to the site to look at the docs (about time, eh?) and made sure I got
the standalone options right, but here's what happens:
bash$ postmaster -D $PGDATA -O -P devtest
usage: postmaster [options]
        -B nbufs        set number of shared buffers
        -D datadir      set data directory
        -S              silent mode (disassociate from tty)
        -a system       use this authentication system
        -b backend      use a specific backend server executable
        -d [1-5]        set debugging level
        -i              listen on TCP/IP sockets as well as Unix domain
socket
        -N nprocs       set max number of backends (1..1024, default 32)
        -n              don't reinitialize shared memory after abnormal exit
        -o option       pass 'option' to each backend servers
        -p port specify port for postmaster to listen on
        -s              send SIGSTOP to all backend servers if one dies
bash$

Presumably it does not like my commands, I guess there are unsupported in
7.0.3.  How do I do a REINDEX in 7.0.3?

ie how do I get to standalone mode in 7.0.3?

I did not send this to the docs newsgroup, obviously I should be sending it
to the general group, I will subscribe to general and send my stuff there, I
thought I had been, sorry.

Terry Fielder
Network Engineer
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes