Re: SELECT problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: SELECT problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 12:24:02PM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:

> Well yes that works, but why?  In every book I have ever read on SQL
> the column names are not in quotes, and the other DB I use regularly
> (IBM DB/2) does not require the column names in quotes, and actually
> does not recognise the column names if they are in quotes?

PostgreSQL is actually contrary to the standard here, in that it
makes everyting lower-case.  If you want an uppercase column name,
you have to double-quote it.  Otherwise, leave everything unquoted
and use lower case.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110