Re: read this and puke - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Hallstrom
Subject Re: read this and puke
Date
Re: read this and puke  ("Robert J. Sanford, Jr." <rsanford@trefs.com>)
List pgsql-general
> tony wrote:
> > http://r.hotwired.com/r/wn_html_link/http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,53006,00.html
> >
> > MySQL a dangerous competitor to Oracle...

While I think we all would agree that PostgreSQL is a better database, I
liked the article.  As long as it's an open-source-db vs. commercial-db I
don't think PostgreSQL can lose.  Sure, that article will get people
looking at MySQL and for some (probably most) people MySQL will do
everything they want... but for some it won't and they'll wonder if
there's something else out there and find PostgreSQL.  That's what
happened to me...

I started with mssql, then *had* to use Oracle because of another apps
requirement, then used mySQL for some intranet stuff (didn't want to pay
for another oracle license for starters).  I didn't start using PostgreSQL
until I decided i really wanted views, triggers, foreign-keys, etc..  I
still use both depending on the client (and where it's going to be
hosted).  I prefer PostgreSQL, but for some things it's overkill..

> > Guys we need a marketing department!!! Or I'll just move the application
> > running my nuclear power station to MySQL...

You might also ask if you'd switch your power plant to PostgreSQL :)  I
don't think I would only because of some of Tom Lane's comments regarding
PostgreSQL's appropriateness for mission critical 24/7 environments...
I'm also not saying that Oracle would be better either...  I prefer to
leave nuclear power plants to Homer Simpson :)

> Anyway, you are right.  We need such highly visible sites to help
> continue our user growth.  It isn't required, but it clearly helps.  We

One thing that PHP (well Zend) does that I think is pretty useful is to
have a nice case study section.  For example this link about the navy
using PHP.  I send that to a lot of people when they start wavering about
using PHP...

http://www.zend.com/zend/cs/csnavalready.php

Granted it means that we need to find people that are using PostgreSQL and
find someone to write about it as well, but this sort of thing is pretty
useful.  Heck the whole "Community" section on zend.com is pretty nice.

I'm up for helping with website stuff (development wise) ... don't know
that I have much to offer article/case-study wise though...

-philip