Re: Locale support is now on by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Locale support is now on by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > It might be that Bruce's recent changes to elog levels allow a graceful
> > compromise about backend messages during initdb.  I haven't looked, but
> > maybe initdb could run the backend with message level one notch higher
> > than LOG to suppress all the normal-case messages without masking not-
> > so-normal cases.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off LOG without hiding almost
> everything:
>
>     if (lev == LOG || lev == COMMERROR)
>     {
>         if (server_min_messages == LOG)
>             output_to_server = true;
>         else if (server_min_messages < FATAL)
>             output_to_server = true;
>     }
>
> Everything except for PANIC is less than FATAL, so this doesn't make sense
> to me.

Actually, what this is saying is that for an elog(LOG) to show, the
server_min_messages, must be less than FATAL.  Setting
server_min_messages to FATAL means only FATAL and PANIC appear:

Server levels are:
            #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,            #   info, notice, warning, error, log, fatal, panic

Pennsylvania19026