Re: Locale support is now on by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Locale support is now on by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian writes:

> > There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off LOG without hiding almost
> > everything:
> >
> >     if (lev == LOG || lev == COMMERROR)
> >     {
> >         if (server_min_messages == LOG)
> >             output_to_server = true;
> >         else if (server_min_messages < FATAL)
> >             output_to_server = true;
> >     }
> >
> > Everything except for PANIC is less than FATAL, so this doesn't make sense
> > to me.
>
> Actually, what this is saying is that for an elog(LOG) to show, the
> server_min_messages, must be less than FATAL.

I know what this is saying, but the coding is redundant (since LOG is also
less than FATAL).

> Setting server_min_messages to FATAL means only FATAL and PANIC
> appear:
>
> Server levels are:
>
>              #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
>              #   info, notice, warning, error, log, fatal, panic

I don't recall log being so high.  Didn't it use to be after info?
Certainly there should be a way to see only warnings, errors, and higher
without seeing the "unimportant" log messages.  Actually, I'm also
confused why we now have info, notice, *and* warning.  Shouldn't two of
these be enough?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net