Re: ANALYZE after restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: ANALYZE after restore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Jan Wieck <janwieck@yahoo.com> writes:
> >     ... And  PostgreSQL  needs  some  frequent  VACUUM
> >     anyway, so after a while this problem solves itself  for  the
> >     average user.
>
> Yes, that's the key point for me too.  Anyone who doesn't set up for
> routine vacuums/analyzes is going to have performance problems anyway.
> Attacking that by making pg_dump force a vacuum is attacking the wrong
> place.

Hi Tom,

Good point.  Although I also think we're talking about two different
things here.

No-one is proposing running a VACCUM after the load, but instead getting
some accurate statistics about the data which was loaded.

I agree adding an automatic background vacuum thread/process/something
will be really, really useful too.
Should we instead have this proposed automatic background something also
update the statistics every now and again?

If so, I think this will all be a moot point.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> There's been discussion of adding automatic background vacuums to
> Postgres; that seems like a more useful response to the issue.

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi