Re: Checking if a table locked from pl/pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Checking if a table locked from pl/pgsql
Date
Re: Checking if a table locked from pl/pgsql  ("Jose Luis LG" <jlopezgonz@terra.es>)
List pgsql-interfaces
Hal Davison wrote:

> In an operational sense, if a user is updating a table for some accounting
> function then decides to go to lunch leaving the table locked.
   Exactly  what  I  expected.  You have a severe design flaw in   your application. Database transactions have to be
short and   never  held over actions that could infinitely block, such as   user interaction, period!

   You need application  level  advisory  locks.  The  abuse  of   database  locks  for  that  will  not  get you very
far.Your   application will not scale and suffer from problems like  the   one you already face.

   Ever   thought   about   adding   a  WEB  interface  to  that   application? If a user editing some account needs to
hold  a   DB   lock   all  the  time,  you'll  not  implement  it  with   Apache/PHP, that's for sure already. And
you'llhave to  make   alot  of  painfull pushups to do it with any other WEB server   technology.

Jan