Re: Checking if a table locked from pl/pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Hal Davison
Subject Re: Checking if a table locked from pl/pgsql
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Hal Davison wrote:
> >
> > In an operational sense, if a user is updating a table for some accounting
> > function then decides to go to lunch leaving the table locked.
>
>     Exactly  what  I  expected.  You have a severe design flaw in
>     your application. Database transactions have to be short  and
>     never  held over actions that could infinitely block, such as
>     user interaction, period!
>
>     You need application  level  advisory  locks.  The  abuse  of
>     database  locks  for  that  will  not  get you very far. Your
>     application will not scale and suffer from problems like  the
>     one you already face.
>
>     Ever   thought   about   adding   a  WEB  interface  to  that
>     application? If a user editing some account needs to  hold  a
>     DB   lock   all  the  time,  you'll  not  implement  it  with
>     Apache/PHP, that's for sure already. And you'll have to  make
>     alot  of  painfull pushups to do it with any other WEB server
>     technology.
>

> Jan

Jan,

I don't have this problem. A request was issued for an possible example as
to WHY someone would need to determine who has a table locked.

I am quite aware of the implications of table as well as row locking in a
production situation.

--Hal.