Re: Notify argument? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Notify argument?
Date
List pgsql-general
Neil Conway wrote:
> > Is it too difficult for it's usefulness?
>
> AFAICT it shouldn't be too difficult. However, there is a note in the
> TODO list referring to breaking backwards compatability with the
> "pgNotify API". Exactly how backwards compatible do we need to be?

The breakage will come when we lengthen NAMEDATALEN, which I plan to
tackle for 7.3.  We will need to re-order the NOTIFY structure and put
the NAMEDATALEN string at the end of the struct so differing namedatalen
backend/clients will work.  If you want to break it, 7.3 would probably
be the time to do it.  :-)  Users will need a recompile pre-7.3 to use
notify for 7.3 and later anyway.