Re: ERROR:B heap_delete: (am)invalid tid - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: ERROR:B heap_delete: (am)invalid tid
Date
List pgsql-general
James Leigh wrote:
> I am using 6.4.2 postgresql from a Mandrake rpm.  That I cannot change
> :(.

    Whow - now that's old.

> Is this a bug? I get it some times when deleting a record.  This is
> happening inside a C program and it segfaults after writing this error.
> It is hard to reproduce, but it happens.  Any old dogs know what this
> means?
>
> ERROR:  heap_delete: (am)invalid tid

    Not totally sure, it's hard to tell. Actually the heap access
    method is trying to delete a row  that  shouldn't  have  been
    found  according  to HeapTupleSatisfies() in the first place.
    So the question is why has it been found?

    Could it be that you had a  transaction  ID  wrap  around?  I
    mean,   v6.4.2,   that   system   might  be  running  without
    dump/reload for some time.  Such a wrap around  could  result
    in major corruption of your data, so you might stop recycling
    any of your old backup tapes until you know for sure what the
    reason is/was and that your database is still consistent.

    How big is the data/pg_log file?

Jan