Re: Notify argument? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Notify argument?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 08:22, Jeff Davis wrote:
> I am curious, why does notify not support a string argument of some kind, to
> pass to the other connections? It seems it would be a little more useful.

You can pass data around using temp tables.

> Is this due to oracle compatibility issues?

Actually, I think that Oracle's implementation of this feature actually
allows for a user-specified string argument.

> Is it too difficult for it's usefulness?

AFAICT it shouldn't be too difficult. However, there is a note in the
TODO list referring to breaking backwards compatability with the
"pgNotify API". Exactly how backwards compatible do we need to be?

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>