Fwd: Re: UB-Tree - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Schrem
Subject Fwd: Re: UB-Tree
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Friday 08 March 2002 20:37, Hannu Krosing  wrote:
> This technique seems to be a good candidate for implementing using GiST
> or perhaps just defined using the <. operator mentioned there.

As I understand GiST is a pretty different algorythm - but I
might be wrong because I know very much about GiST.

On Friday 08 March 2002 20:37, Hannu Krosing  wrote:
> Mappign from ordinary query with several = , < and between may be a
> little tricky though.

But the possible performance gain can be huge - at least
this is what you find in theier benchmark documentations.

On Friday 08 March 2002 20:37, Hannu Krosing  wrote:
> They may also have patents on it, so we should move carefully here.

I sent a mail asking R. Bayer about any known patent issues.
He said that the UB-Tree is internationally patented.
Sad, because it looked like a briliant idea. Now it looks like
it will be banned from the open source community for some
decades to come... :-(

Robert Schrem