Re: pg_class -> reltuples? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_class -> reltuples?
Date
Archive search (was: pg_class -> reltuples?)  (Ian Barwick <barwick@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a reason why the reltuples column of pg_class is stored as a
> "real", rather than one of the integer data types? Are there any
> situations in which there will be a non-integer value stored in this
> column?

That is an excellent question.  I assume it is related to having > 4
billion rows, but we have int8 for that.  The value is used mostly by
the optimizer, which does most of its calcultions using float8 (real),
so that may be why.

> P.S. I tried to search the archives, but archives.postgresql.org is so
> slow, it's basically unusable. So my apologies if this has already been
> discussed...

Yes, it is hampering me from researching some of these patches too, and
fts is completely down.  If I could just get a web page of all the
threads (forget searching), I would be happy. The archives site contents
hasn't been updated since Feb 28.

Pennsylvania19026