Re: thinking about versioning my database schema - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Roberto Mello
Subject Re: thinking about versioning my database schema
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 08:10:24AM +0100, Janning Vygen wrote:

> So i am saving the schema version inside the databse. Is it a good
> idea? or is it nonsens and there is a much better way how to do it?

Yeah, but then you'd have to change your queries to be able to query the
new tables.
> I dont want to recreate the database every time because i want to
> keep my testdata present.

How about a script that dumps your data, dumps your db, reloads the table
definitions, then reloads your data? You could have a table with rows for
every table that would keep track of the current version you have, that
could be updated when this script ran.

-Roberto

--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu/ USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+ Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU -
http://www.brasileiro.net/      http://www.sdl.usu.edu/ - Space Dynamics Lab, Developer

Make way! Make way! A PROGRAMMER HAS ARRIVED!!