Re: About persistent connections... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David BOURIAUD
Subject Re: About persistent connections...
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Gary !

> Hi Dave,
>
> The whole point of a persistant connection is that it doesn't close.  HTTP
> is completely stateless and unless you do clever stuff like session
> management, every visit to the site is totally seperate.  The connection
> process for Pg is slow, and the point of persistent connections is to get
> round this.

Sure, that's what I understood from the various docs I read !

> If you are using persistent connections, then the user clicking quit will
> make no difference anyway.  The only way to close the connection is to
> either restart the web server, or restart Postmaster.

Sure again, but the fact is that when I provide a "quit" button, it redirects
the client towards a php page that closes the connection, erases the session
file and tells him that he is now away, so, I tend to think that the
connection is definetly closed afetr the reading of this page.

> As a site note, it would be nice to be able to set a timeout for a
> persistant connection so that periodically the connection is closed, and a
> new clean connection made on request.

That would be great enough indeed !
As a mater of fact, I didn't suspect the existence of pgsql-php list, as
suggests Josh in reply of my previous mail, and I'll subscribe to this list
right now to make out what's related to this.
Thanks anyway for your concern.

--
David BOURIAUD
In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have