Re: About persistent connections... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gary Stainburn
Subject Re: About persistent connections...
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Friday 01 March 2002 3:29 pm, David BOURIAUD wrote:
> Hi to all !
>
> Does anyone know how the postmaster handles persistent connections ?
> I use to use them with php, but yet I haven't upgraded to postgreSQL 7.2,
> I'm still on version 7.1.3, and it occured to me that when my users close
> their browser rather than click on the quit button I provided, their
> connection remains alive and is never closed. Is there a way to set it up
> so that such connections are closed after a certain amount of time of
> inactivity, as it is done with ftp for example ? Thanks by advance for your
> help.

Hi Dave,

The whole point of a persistant connection is that it doesn't close.  HTTP is
completely stateless and unless you do clever stuff like session management,
every visit to the site is totally seperate.  The connection process for Pg
is slow, and the point of persistent connections is to get round this.

If you are using persistent connections, then the user clicking quit will
make no difference anyway.  The only way to close the connection is to either
restart the web server, or restart Postmaster.

As a site note, it would be nice to be able to set a timeout for a persistant
connection so that periodically the connection is closed, and a new clean
connection made on request.

--
Gary Stainburn