Re: thinking about versioning my database schema - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Janning Vygen
Subject Re: thinking about versioning my database schema
Date
List pgsql-sql
Am Montag, 4. März 2002 14:09 schrieb Roberto Mello:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 08:10:24AM +0100, Janning Vygen wrote:
> > So i am saving the schema version inside the databse. Is it a
> > good idea? or is it nonsens and there is a much better way how to
> > do it?
>
> Yeah, but then you'd have to change your queries to be able to
> query the new tables.
>
> > I dont want to recreate the database every time because i want to
> > keep my testdata present.
>
> How about a script that dumps your data, dumps your db, reloads the
> table definitions, then reloads your data? You could have a table
> with rows for every table that would keep track of the current
> version you have, that could be updated when this script ran.

i cant reload my dumped data if the table definition changed. maybe i
have renamed a column or something like this. how should my dumped
data know this? So i have to write an update script. But then i have
to write the new schema AND have to write update scripts and still
hve trouble with other developers who should easily get a
corresponding schema for alle the queries they just fetched via cvs

janning

--
Planwerk 6 /websolutions
Herzogstraße 86