Re: terminal with horizontal scrollbar - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Antoine Reid
Subject Re: terminal with horizontal scrollbar
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 10:07:25AM -0800, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
> Can't help with the terminal app, but there's an option in psql to have it
> print out the results verticly (one field per line)... doesn't work real
> well if lots of rows get returned, but for one or two it's nice.

Yes, using \x will give you each record on multiple lines (one attribute per
line). When viewing a large table, you might want to (ab)use some options on
your pager. Specifically:

export PAGER="/usr/bin/less -S"

Note this will only work if psql calls the pager, and it only does so if the
number of lines will be greater than the height of your xterm. There might
be a way to tell psql to unconditionnaly pipe through PAGER, but then, even
in simple queries, you would have to hit 'q' to get back to psql's prompt...

I haven't yet looked in psql's source to see where that lines number check gets
done, but I'm sure one could change that check to use an option rather than
the actual number of lines.

Just my 2 cents (CDN)...
Antoine

--
| Antoine Reid, SysAdmin, NetAdmin                                          |
| Magnetism, electricity and motion are like a three for-two special offer: |