Re: [GENERAL] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Feature enhancement request : use of libgda  (Jean-Michel POURE <jm.poure@freesurf.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW / TRIGGER and ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN are real
> priorities for us at pgAdmin team (http://pgadmin.postgresql.org). I don't
> know PostgreSQL internals, but it should take a few days/weeks to an
> experienced hacker to add these features.

Jean-Michel,

    I think you underestimate the problem a little.

    Doing  CREATE OR REPLACE is not that trivial as you appear to
    think.  The existing PL handlers (for PL/Tcl and PL/pgSQL  at
    least)   identify   functions  by  their  pg_proc  OID.   The
    functions body text is parsed only on the first call to  that
    function during the entire session. So changing the functions
    prosrc attribute after having called it already wouldn't take
    effect until the next "session". But changing the OID as well
    corrupts existing SPI plans in other functions plus rules.

    Now it might be possible to tell  your  function  handler  to
    recompile that function at the next call without changing the
    OID, but how do you tell the function  handlers  in  all  the
    other  concurrently running backends to do so after finishing
    their current transaction?

    The reason for this feature not beeing implemented yet is not
    "that just noone is in the mood for".  It is that the general
    multiuser support structures aren't in  place  and  a  little
    local sandbox-hack just wouldn't cut it.

Jan