Re: Where is /etc/init.d - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Where is /etc/init.d
Date
List pgsql-general
For debian, upon entering runlevel 2 (the runlevel that is usually the
default when you just start the computer), it looks in /etc/rc2.d/ and
executes all the scripts beginning with "S##" with the argument "start", and
all of the scripts beginning with "K##" with an argument of "stop". The lower
the number denoted by "##" the earlier it's executed.

What you want it to do is go in and execute something similar to:
postgresql start (for power on)
postgresql stop (for power off)

The best way to do this is:
make an init file that properly starts and stops postgresql when sent a
"start" or "stop" argument respectively. I believe the script you are
refering to is the one you want. So, copy that file into the /etc/init.d/
directory and give it the name "postgresql". You should now have a file
"/etc/init.d/postgresql". Make sure it's executable (do "chmod 755
/etc/init.d/postgresql") then test it by doing:
/etc/init.d/postgresql start
and
/etc/init.d/postgresql stop
and see if it starts/stops the database.

Now make links in the /etc/rc2.d/ for system startup:
ln -s /etc/init.d/postgresql /etc/rc2.d/S80postgresql
Now the stop scripts:
ln -s /etc/init.d/postgresql /etc/rc0.d/K80postgresql
ln -s /etc/init.d/postgresql /etc/rc6.d/K80postgresql

now all those startup/shutdown directories link to one postgres script. It
should work properly.

    Jeff