Where is /etc/init.d - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mayan
Subject Where is /etc/init.d
Date
Re: Where is /etc/init.d  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-general
First of all, I'd like to thanks to all the member of this mailing list
that have helped me installed PostgreSQL. I really would have not been
possible w/o your help.
Now I am facing the last part of the installation, which is to start and
shutdown Postgresql at boot up time and shutdown time respectively.
I did locate the file that does this operation under the '../contrib'
subdirectory of the .../postgresql-7.1.3 tree. However, the notes in the
'linux' file indicate that I should place this file in the
'etc/init.d/postgresql'. The problem I have is that the
'...init.d/posgresql' does not exist in my Debian's '/etc' directory
and, being a new-B, I have no idea what to do.

The options are clear, I can create the directory so that I can add the
file to it, or, ask if there is another directory where Debian is
expecting to find this file. I have chosen the latter.

I hope one of you can give me a hand on this, thanks...