Re: DRDA, network protocol, and documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Terrell
Subject Re: DRDA, network protocol, and documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 04:02:10PM +1100, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Brian Bruns wrote:
>
> > I also noticed on the TODO list someone has put SQL*Net support as a
> > network protocol.  Is this a serious plan or just a pipedream?  Part of
> > what I'm aiming to do is make the network protocol stuff fairly modular so
> > you could support the current protocol, and DRDA, and presumably SQL*Net
> > or TDS (Microsoft/Sybases protocol), etc...
>
> I intend on looking into ways to implement SQL*Net/TNS etc. It's not
> pretty but would be remarkably useful. I haven't started looking at it
> yet because PostgreSQL doesn't support all of the Oracle's SQL
> implementation. Until this happens there's really not much point.

I'd really like to see something that does XML queries, either over
HTTP (POST/PUT) or BEEP (RFC 3080, 3081).  I can start work on
something generic (I've been meaning to start hacking pg anyway...).
A generic input format (application/vnd.postgresql-query) and a
generic XML schema that handles any query.  Ideally, you'd have the
ability to designate an XML schema (SELECT [AS XML [SCHEMA 'blah']] ...),
and an xml schemas table that has a description of the data parts,
so the output XML is exactly right.

I'm still wrapping my brain around this concept, if anybody else
is interested in this let me know.

--
David Terrell            | "When we said that you needed to cut the
dbt@meat.net             | wires for ultimate security, we didn't