Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Haroldo Stenger wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
> > The thing is, there are several areas where using threads would be a
> > benefit, from what I've read on this list over the years ... as time goes
> > on, less and less of the OSs in use dont' have threads, so we have to
> > start *somewhere* to work towards that sort of hybrid system ...
>
> Yes.
>
> But, maybe things like full-fledged replication, savepoints/nested
> transactions, out-of-transaction-scope cursors, and others must have
> priority over this; and

If this are priorities for some, we do welcome patches from them to make
it happen ... it is an open source project ... I am trying to encourage
one person how has obviously spent a good deal of time on the whole
threaded issue to start working at using his experience with PgSQL and
Threading to see what, if anything, can be done to try and keep his work
and ours from diverging too far ...

> that mutating PG thread safe, will slow down a 7.3 release a lot,
> something not wanted by many here.

Depends on how it is handled ...