Re: PHP Abstraction layers - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Francisco Reyes
Subject Re: PHP Abstraction layers
Date
List pgsql-php
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Gurudutt wrote:

> Hello Francisco,
>
> I find "PEAR DB" particularly a wonderful data abstraction layer. I
> have been working with for a long time and so far I have had minor
> difficulties while porting from one database to another.

Thanks for the feedback. I think so far I am leaning to PEAR or MetaData.

> I have worked with PEAR DB on three databases, MySQL with BDB tables,
> Postgresql and Oracle. It works fine with all the three, but I must
> confess my working with Oracle based data interface is limited.

So far my targers are PostgreSQL and Oracle. Although I actually don't
expect a lot of apps moving from PostgreSQL to Oracle, there is a second
part of abstraction layers that people miss. It helps in terms of learning
and reducing production costs. If my team learns one good API which we can
use with both PostgreSQL and Oracle then when we need to develop Oracle
apps it would take us less time.