Re: To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit
Date
List pgsql-general
> Greetings, Bruce!
>
> At 18.10.2001, 02:34, you wrote:
>
> >> Isn't it much worse to not follow PostgreSQL behavior than to not follow
> >> MySQL behavior?
>
> BM> Another idea:  because our historical Limit #,# differs from MySQL, one
> BM> idea is to disable LIMIT #,# completely and instead print an error
> BM> stating they have to use LIMIT # OFFSET #.  Although that would break
> BM> both MySQl and old PostgreSQL queries, it would not generate incorrect
> BM> results.
>
>     It doesn't seem like a good idea. The best solution, IMHO, would
>     be to introduce optional "MySQL-compatibility mode" for LIMIT in 7.2
>     Later LIMIT #,# can be marked deprecated in favour of LIMIT #,
>     OFFSET #
>     But please, don't *break* things; while this change may make life
>     easier for some people migrating from MySQL far more people would
>     be pissed off...

OK, it seems enough people don't want this change that we have to do
something.  What do people suggest?  Can we throw an elog(NOTICE)
message in 7.2 stating that LIMIT #,# will disappear in the next release
and to start using LIMIT/OFFSET.  That way, people can migrate their
code to LIMIT/OFFSET during 7.2 and it can disappear in 7.3?

I frankly think the LIMIT #,# is way too confusing anyway and would be
glad to have it removed.