Re: To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexey Borzov
Subject Re: To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the select limit
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings, Bruce!

At 18.10.2001, 02:34, you wrote:

>> Isn't it much worse to not follow PostgreSQL behavior than to not follow
>> MySQL behavior?

BM> Another idea:  because our historical Limit #,# differs from MySQL, one
BM> idea is to disable LIMIT #,# completely and instead print an error
BM> stating they have to use LIMIT # OFFSET #.  Although that would break
BM> both MySQl and old PostgreSQL queries, it would not generate incorrect
BM> results.

    It doesn't seem like a good idea. The best solution, IMHO, would
    be to introduce optional "MySQL-compatibility mode" for LIMIT in 7.2
    Later LIMIT #,# can be marked deprecated in favour of LIMIT #,
    OFFSET #
    But please, don't *break* things; while this change may make life
    easier for some people migrating from MySQL far more people would
    be pissed off...

--
Yours, Alexey V. Borzov, Webmaster of RDW.ru