Re: last OID and connections? - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Adam Haberlach
Subject Re: last OID and connections?
Date
List pgsql-php
On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 03:27:17PM +0200, "Johnny Jørgensen" wrote:
> Once I get a current project to production state, I'm going to get a heap of users performing updates simultaneously
throughthe same update.php, and that raises a few questions:

> 1. will pg_getlastoid() return the last oid inserted *by this user*, *on this page*, *on this connection*, or is
therea possibility for them to get mixed up, because the database gets a connection from the same user (php), and
reusesconnections or something?

If you pass it the result object from your last insert, it should give
an oid unique to that insert.

I usually do the insert, the immediately read the row back with a select
for the pg_lastoid() in order to get the pkey.  A little wanky, but it
seems to be the way to do it.

> e.g. If a user changes his profile, and an administrator changes some other row at the same time?

If they are through seperate connections, they should be completely
different.

> 2. I find oid's pretty clever, but are they good for unique keys? It seems, foreign key constraints won't use oid's
inthe current release, should i use serials instead?

Don't use them for anything persistent except for large objects.  Use
serials as primary keys.

--
Adam Haberlach     | Computer science has the unfortunate characteristic
adam@newsnipple.com| that many of the pioneers of the field are still
                   | alive and doing research.
                   |        -- Adam Rifkin

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster