Configuration of statistical views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Configuration of statistical views
Date
Re: Configuration of statistical views  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,
   OK,  all  the  high-frequently called functions of the pgstat   stuff are macros (will commit that later today).
   Now about the per database configuration. The thing is that I   don't  know  if it is worth doing it too detailed.
#ifdef'ing  out the functionality I have the following wallclock runtimes   for the regression test on a 500MHz P-III:

       Backend does nothing:               1:03       Backend sends per table           scan and block IO:
1:05      Backend sends per table           info plus querystring:          1:10

   If  somebody  wants  to  see  an applications querystring (at   least the first 512 bytes) just in case something
goes wrong   and  the client hangs, he'd have to run querystring reporting   all the time either way.

   So I can see value in a per database default  in  pg_database   plus the ability to switch it on/off via statement
toanalyze   single commands.

   What do others think?

Jan