Re: More Red Hat information - Mailing list pgsql-general

From GH
Subject Re: More Red Hat information
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:57:55AM -0400, some SMTP stream spewed forth:

> I agree.  How is a person supposed to count the number of users if the database
> is being used to support a public dynamic web site?  Is the company supposed to
> buy a separate license for every unique IP address that ever hits a dynamic web
> page on the site?  I can see licensing per server, or even per CPU, but
> licensing any server application per user quickly becomes ridiculous when the
> server is supporting any internet application.

I believe "user" refers to simultaneous connections. I could be wrong.

Look at this way:
PostgreSQL: free
MS SQL: not free

Hm, tough one. (And, I think I could figure out a new database for less
than a few grand.)  ;-)

gh