Re: Access statistics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Access statistics
Date
Re: Access statistics  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> >     So outing myself not beeing a *real programmer*, this is what
> >     I have so far:
>
> Hmm ... what is the performance of all this like?  Seems like a lot
> of overhead.  Can it be turned off?
   Current  performance loss is about 2-4% wallclock measured. I   expect it to become better when turning some of the
functions  into macros.

   The  plan is to add another column to pg_database that can be   used to turn it on/off on a per database level.
Backendsjust   decide  at startup if they collect and send for their session   lifetime.

> >     * Backends call some collector functions  at  various  places
> >       now  (these  will  finally  be macros), that count up table
> >       scans, tuples returned by scans,  buffer  fetches/hits  and
> >       the like.
>
> Have you removed the existing stats-gathering support
> (backend/access/heap/stats.c and so on)?   That would buy back
> at least a few of the cycles involved ...
   Not sure if we really should.  Let's  later  decide  if  it's   really obsolete.