Re: Remove sort files - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Remove sort files
Date
List pgsql-patches
> >> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
> > Anyway, I am still thinking about this.  I haven't addressed tables that
> > are orphaned by a rename aborting.
> >>
> >> What makes you think that needs to be addressed?  We don't have that
> >> problem anymore AFAIK.
>
> > If one backend creates a new file for alter table, but crashes before
> > modifying pg_class, doesn't that file just hang around?
>
> ALTER TABLE doesn't create any new files.

What about CLUSTER?  If we do DROP COLUMN by creating a new heap, we
will use it then too, right?  Are those the only two that create new
files that could be orphaned?

Now that we have file numbers, seems we can do DROP COLUMN now reliably,
right?