Re: Re: MySQLs Describe emulator! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: Re: MySQLs Describe emulator!
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 10:19:13AM -0500, Boulat Khakimov wrote:

> Karel Zak wrote:

> > > 2) as a programmer I need to be able to find out as much info as
> > > possible about any given field
> > >    which is what "describe" for in mySQL.
> >
> >  As a programmer you can see psql source and directly found how SQL
> > query execute this tool. The PostgreSQL needn't non-standard statements
> > like MySQL's SHOW, DESC -- the postgreSQL has system catalogs.
> >
> >                 Karel
>
> Agreed! Why make someones life easier??
> Let's complicate things as much as possible that way it's more
> fun,right? ;o)
>
> Dont understand how this works?  No problem -- just read the source
> code.
> Dont understand how to get that to work? Not a problem -- read the
> source code!
>
> The only problem tho, the source codes tend to be thousands of lines
> when it comes
> to DBs and time is ...

 Well man, I not write this code, but I need 1 minute for found it....

 see src/bin/psql/describe.c:

SELECT     a.attname, format_type(a.atttypid, a.atttypmod), attnotnull,
    a.atthasdef, a.attnum, obj_description(a.oid)
FROM     pg_class c, pg_attribute a
WHERE     c.relname = 'YourTableName' AND
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    a.attnum > 0 AND
    a.attrelid = c.oid
ORDER BY a.attnum;

 If I good remenber anywhere in PG's docs is catalog schema. It isn't
too much difficult write queries like above-mentioned, because catalog
attributes/tables names are intuitive. For start see pg_class and
pg_attribute.

        Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>