Re: Re: MySQLs Describe emulator! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michelle Murrain
Subject Re: Re: MySQLs Describe emulator!
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 06 March 2001 10:19 am, Boulat Khakimov wrote:
> Karel Zak wrote:

> > > 2) as a programmer I need to be able to find out as much info as
> > > possible about any given field
> > >    which is what "describe" for in mySQL.
> >
> >  As a programmer you can see psql source and directly found how SQL
> > query execute this tool. The PostgreSQL needn't non-standard statements
> > like MySQL's SHOW, DESC -- the postgreSQL has system catalogs.
> >
> >                 Karel
>
> Agreed! Why make someones life easier??
> Let's complicate things as much as possible that way it's more
> fun,right? ;o)
>
> Dont understand how this works?  No problem -- just read the source
> code.
> Dont understand how to get that to work? Not a problem -- read the
> source code!
>
> The only problem tho, the source codes tend to be thousands of lines
> when it comes
> to DBs and time is ...

And, further, some of us are web programmers, and the source code doesn't
help one whit in getting DATA that one needs to do stuff on the front end,
like data entry validation.

Thanks much Boulat - you made the coding for my robust validator a lot easier
to write and read... and it works well, too!

Michelle
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
President
Norwottuck Technology Resources