Re: [HACKERS] Re: PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 01:33:08PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Charles Tassell wrote:
>
> > Just a note, I've been using Postgres 7.02 and PHP 4.02 or 4.03 for about a
> > month in a couple sites, and haven't experienced any problems with
> > persistent connections.  Problem might have been fixed in one of the point
> > releases, or maybe I just don't have enough different db connections to
> > trigger it.
>
> I run PHP4 and IMP (http://www.horde.org) and we've gotten then to remove
> the useof pg_pconnect() since it is broken.  Broken how, you might
> ask?  Well, I ran on a standalone machine, no other web users but myself,
> to test, and each tim eI hit the database with IMP,. it opened a new
> backend, but it never reused old, idle ones ... eventually, you run out of
> the ability to connect since you've locked up all connections ...

Maybe you have the apache maxspareservers set too high?  I run
PHP4/apache (debian-woody) and it works ok.  If this is only IMP
site maybe you are better off

  apache.MaxClients = postgres.backendcount

Just a thought.

--
marko