Re: I know installation questions are boring ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: I know installation questions are boring ...
Date
Re: I know installation questions are boring ...  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Alexander Jerusalem <ajeru@gmx.net> writes:
> I keep getting an intresting error message: "FATAL 1: Version number in
> file '../data/PG_VERSION' should be 7.0, not 7.0"
> Any ideas?

PG_VERSION should contain the 4 bytes "7.0\n".  The initdb script
creates it in what may be too simplistic a fashion:

    echo $version > "$PGDATA/PG_VERSION"

It sounds like your copy of echo decided to write the newline as
DOS-style \r\n instead of just \n.

Of course this just begs the question of why it works for some people
on NT and not others.  Is this a difference across cygwin releases,
perhaps?

            regards, tom lane